Translate

Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Photographic Riddle...



What am I???



*I'm in the history books*
*I'm on the side of the road, in between Mammoth Lakes and LA*


Update!!!

Magical Mystery Teacher and Adele were the first to give the answer to the riddle...
and Bellis was the one who narrowed it down to the exact structure!!!
This is the watchtower at the edge of the Relocation Center at Manzanar.
Left over from World War II, this center housed thousands
of Japanese Americans who were unfairly incarcerated because of paranoia that
their "connection" to Japan would jeopardize the war efforts;
regardless of citizenship, war service, or faithfulness to the US ideals.
Manzanar is a reminder of a blight in American history where
paranoia destroyed the lives of thousands.
Manzanar has been historically owned by the City of Los Angeles
and a registered Los Angeles Historic-Cultural monument.
In 1985, Manzanar was designated as a National Historic Landmark.

For more information, check out these sites...



If you're heading our way up Highway 395, take an opportunity to learn more
about these relocation camps by stopping and visiting the museum here...
there is also a driving tour with a map where you can drive through the 
actual camp and identify what was where.



Linking to...




22 comments:

  1. It's a mystery to me! But I do love the perspective suggesting some sacred peak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great composition although no idea what the structure is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bracing for the answer......I dunno!
    Thanks for your wonderful comments, Chieftess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Windmill or whatever those towers with a 'fan' on top are called?

    ReplyDelete
  5. History books, huh? I vote for Manzanar, too. Although it has been a very long time since I've been there, and I don't remember what this would be. Great photo, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olha só, um enigma...será uma ponte? Adorei a criatividade, um abraço!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never stopped at Manzanar, but the others may be on the right track. Is it a watchtower at the camp?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no clue, but I love the angle and shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I'll be darned!!! Magical Mystery Teacher unlocked the mystery!!! And Adele and Bellis confirmed it! This is the watch tower for Manzanar Relocation Camp. It is just off of Highway 395, in between Lone Pine and Independence. For more information...

    http://www.manzanar.com/information.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzanar
    http://www.nps.gov/manz/index.htm
    http://www.manzanarcommittee.org/The_Manzanar_Committee/Home.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting. I've read 'Snow Falling on Cedars', which I was attracted to by the title and then discovered it was about Japanese in the US during WW2. Great book - and a lovely title for all that it doesn't reflect the contents!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read that book too Linda!!! It is a very scary, interesting and complex part of US history...definitely a part of history that we should strive never to repeat...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read that book too. Such a sad time...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also read Snow Falling on Cedars because I was familiar with the Puget Sound islands. Loved the book with its powerful message.

    I would not have guessed the specific tower or its purpose but it immediately reminded me of a fire tower on a hill above Zurich. (Yes, I climbed to the top)

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see thinking it was a fire tower Genie!!!

    Thanks to all for all of your comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really tried to figure it out before looking at the answers, but I never would have known. I had no idea this was right on the highway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Right on the side of the road Petrea...you can see the watch tower miles ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photo and thanks for the info. It made for a great glimpse back to a not so great decision by our government.

    ReplyDelete