Translate

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Feeling a Bit "Upside Down" Today???




This little upside down house was built by the silent screen actress,

She began her career in Hollywood as the first licensed woman projectionist,
then moved on to become an actress.  Her movie career included movies with 
Charlie Chaplin, Greta Garbo, Clark Gable and Randolph Scott.

While on location in the Eastern Sierras for the movie The Thundering Herd, she 
fell in love with the area and vowed to move here with her husband.

Eventually she gave up her career in Hollywood and moved to Lundy Canyon,
just north of Lee Vining.  She built her dream cabin and created a resort around it.
She was a woman of first's and became California's first licensed fishing and hiking guide.

When she sold her resort, she moved to Mono Lake and built the "Upside Down House"
alongside Highway 395.  

Nellie died in 1984 at the age of 91.

The Upside Down House was eventually moved to the park surrounding the 
Old School House Museum where it can be viewed today...

And yes...everything in it is upside down too...
even the plaque on the front!!!




13 comments:

  1. That's a cool little house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun!!! I imagine quite the attraction for little kids!!!
    Thanks LadyFi and Jean!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She certainly was a woman of first. What a trailblazer. Love the upside down house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was Margaret!!! I'll bet she'd have loved your Goddess book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is both charming and wacky. Why did she want an upside-down house? I guess she is more of a renegade than I'll ever even dream to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm... I don't think that sentence is grammatically correct. I just woke up from a nap and my mind is all fuzzy. "... than I'll ever even dream of being."? Is that it? Bah... I think I'll go back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got me on that one Susan!!! Have a nice nap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the photo and the story. Wonder if there's a good bio?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was hard finding any info about her on the internet so I'm thinking probably not Hiker...there are books about women of the Eastern Sierras which might be the closest...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun is that?? I hope to see it in person one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why would someone do this after they unloaded their resort? I'm a big fan of the eccentrics. Maybe there were so many of them in the valley that nobody questioned it

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a question I've pondered too PA!!!

    ReplyDelete