Translate

Monday, December 16, 2013

Code 3...




On Saturday...
...it was Shop with a Cop day!!!!


About 40 kids had the opportunity to "Shop with a Cop"!!!
Law enforcement personnel from several different agencies in 
Mono and Inyo counties participated.
The kids were selected by the schools...
and on Saturday...
they had breakfast at Whiskey Creek...
then rode Code 3 (lights and sirens) to K-Mart...
the shopping destination of Mono and Inyo counties!


Upon arriving at K-Mart...
the police cars lined up in front of the store...
parking in the no parking zone of course!!! 


Just before the kids and "cops" let loose in the store...
we got a group photo!
It was an awfully early morning for me so of course
I left without my camera...
the cell phone had to do...
not the greatest shot...but it gives you an idea of our group!!!

Each child had a "cop" with them while they shopped.
They each had a gift card worth $240...
$200 from the agencies contributing, and an additional $40 from K-Mart...
plus discounts at the cash register!!!
The kids were able to shop for gifts for their whole family...
and of course...for themselves.
Volunteers from both counties wrapped the packages...

The kids weren't the only ones who had a good time and got a gift...
everyone who participated had a great time...
and got the gift of smiles!!!



I'm going to be taking another holiday break for the rest of the week...
you know...gotta catch up on my Christmas shopping!!!


16 comments:

  1. What fun. . . for everyone involved! Never heard of this project elsewhere; a very generous gesture for each of these young students. Quite a large group, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is SO COOL! What a wonderful thing for the kids! And, no, we don't have that project down here either. I wish we did. We have MANY, MANY needy families.
    ~~Cheryl Ann~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet they all had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really nice thing to do. Not only have I completed my shopping, but I'm done wrapping too (just thought I'd rub that in).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!!! One of the advantages of the program is that it enables the kids to see the cops in a non threatening environment...many of the kids' parents have had less than ideal dealings with them, so this gives the kids a different perspective!!!

    Woody...I'm impressed!!! Not much shopping opportunity up here...unless I can get it at KMart!!! Gotta fit it in when the party schedule is waning!!! I've got two packages wrapped...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of a program like that here... but it sounds very worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was my first time participating...well worth an early morning rise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun thing for those kids!
    (The cops probably enjoyed it, too!)
    Be sure to link this to «Louis'» iPhone Phriday meme. It will open at 6:00 pm PST Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There just as many cop smiles as kid smiles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea!
    I hope you have a great Christmas Kathryn...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great thing to do. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy new year and see you in 2014

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was a fun day and great way to celebrate the Spirit of Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete